Shop Fire On Birch Avenue
LEWISTON, ID – If you were driving in Lewiston today, you probably saw several fire engines, trucks, and ambulances headed out into the Orchards. Firefighters rushed to a shop fire at 9:33 this morning. Flames and smoke were showing from the building behind 1418 Birch Avenue when they arrived. The first crew was able to quickly knock down the main fire within a few minutes.
No one was hurt in the fire. An initial assessment suggests that it may have started near the wood stove, but it's still under investigation. The building wasn’t badly damaged, but there’s significant smoke damage to the contents of the shop.
Just minutes after that call came in, medics had to be sent from the fire to handle a heart attack. Off-duty medics, who were attending training at St. Joseph Regional Medical Center, left the training to back up the on-duty crews with other incoming emergency calls.
As part of the Auto-Aid response agreement in the valley, Wheatland Fire District sent a fire engine and crew to help cover downtown Lewiston.