Child Care, Adult Care, and Emergency Center Federal Meal Assistance Funds Available

Child Care, Adult Care, and Emergency Center Federal Meal Assistance Funds Available

November 23, 2020

CACFP SliderOLYMPIA —November 23, 2020 — The Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) encourages qualifying child-care centers, emergency shelters, and adult care centers in Washington state to participate in the federal Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP). The CACFP reimburses some costs associated with serving well-balanced, nutritious meals to children and adults.

The following care centers and institutions may participate in the CACFP:

  1. Nonresidential licensed public or private nonprofit child care centers or family daycare homes.
  2. For-profit child care institutions in which at least 25% of children served are low-income based on the center’s licensed capacity or total monthly attendance, whichever is less.
  3. Area eligible child care centers or institutions that provide care to school-age children.
  4. Nonprofit emergency shelters that provide temporary residential facilities to children.
  5. Qualifying public or nonprofit adult centers, or for-profit adult centers that receive compensation under Title XIX of the Social Security Act for at least 25% of their enrolled adults.

The CACFP reimburses meals at established rates based on school building data, family income, or federal assistance received in households where enrolled children and adults reside. Meals served to eligible children experiencing homelessness and at-risk children are reimbursed at the free rate. Reimbursements help institutions offset some of the costs of providing nutritious meals and snacks to participants.

Meals will be made available to participants at no charge.

The following monthly income eligibility guidelines determine reimbursement rates:


Household Family Size

  Free Lunch 


























  Each additional household  
 member, add



Care centers and institutions may apply for the program or get more information by emailing OSPI's Community Nutrition Program, or by mailing Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, P.O. Box 47200, Olympia, Washington 98504–7200.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877–8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: How to File a Complaint, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632–9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

  1. Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW 
    Washington, D.C. 20250–9410;
  2. Fax: (202) 690–7442; or
  3. Email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Previous Article USDA Forest Service Invites Public Feedback on Proposed FY22 Deferred Maintenance Projects


Please email news tips to our news director at: