No. 23 Men’s Tennis Opens Season with Doubleheader Sweep of Pirates
2/14/2021 | Alisha Alexander | Sports Information Director
LEWISTON, Idaho – The No. 23 LC State Men’s Tennis team opened the 2021 season with a pair of convincing victories over NCAA DIII Whitworth. Lewis-Clark State took both contests 6-1. Between the two matches, five players made their collegiate debuts with LC State. The entire team was in midseason form, including freshmen Itaru Kikuchi who made his debut in the No. 1 singles position. Freshman Andre Du Plessis did the same at No. 1 doubles paired with William Bruchard.
“It was so good for the men to get back on the courts again in competition,” Head Coach Kai Fong said. “These two matches reinforced that we have a deep lineup. Four of the six singles were making their debut in college tennis. They played with much poise and composure like seasoned Warriors.”
MATCH ONE: LC State def. Whitworth 6-1
In the first doubles action of the season, LC State came out strong with three victories to earn the point. Kikuchi teamed up with Gunnar Harlan in the No. 2 spot and earned a quick 6-1 win. Marcus Gavelin and freshman Andy Wu followed suit with a 6-1 victory in No. 3 doubles. Top duo Bruchard and Du Plessis fought their way back from 5-6 to force a tie break before winning 7-6.
Harlan continued to excel at a steady pace in his No. 3 singles matchup. He finished off his opponent 6-2, 6-0. Kikuchi impressed in his first collegiate singles match with a 6-3, 6-2 win in No. 1 singles. Burchard (No. 2 singles), Du Plessis (No. 4 singles) and Wu (No. 6 singles) all took down their opponents in straight sets.
MATCH ONE RESULTS:
1. William Bruchard/Andre Du Plessis (LCSC) def. Kincaid Norris/Brandon Archer (WU) 7-6
2. Itaru Kikuchi/Gunnar Harlan (LCSC) def. Cameron Brewer/Nathan Tjelle (WU) 6-1
3. Marcus Gavelin/Andy Wu (LCSC) def. Jonathan Hutely/Ethan Warring (WU) 6-1
1. Itaru Kikuchi (LCSC) def. Cameron Brewer (WU) 6-3, 6-2
2. William Bruchard (LCSC) def. Kincaid Norris (WU) 6-2, 7-6 (4)
3. Gunnar Harlan (LCSC) def. Brandon Archer (WU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Andre Du Plessis (LCSC) def. Nathan Tjelle (WU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Jonathan Hutley (WU) def. Cornelius Sia (LCSC) 6-4, 6-2
6. Andy Wu (LCSC) def. Ethan Warring (WU) 6-4, 6-1